Friday, December 26, 2014

146) Evolution

In this game you're creating and protecting various creatures you control. This is a card driven game where you use cards for their ability or discard cards to improve your creature, activate special abilities, or even to create another creature. All your creatures start out as herbivores, but certain cards turn them into carnivores and you can start attacking (eating) other players creatures. You can only eat as much food as your population allows and food can become scarce. The player who eats the most food over the course of the game is the winner.

Upgrade options 
My first creature 
Our four player game 
End game score

I enjoyed playing this game although it didn't leave me wanting to play again. A big mechanic is destroying (eating) creatures that other players have spent time building up. I'm not a huge fan of this mechanic and often try to turtle up and hide in games such as this. I felt like in our game the balance between carnivores and herbivores was largely skewed towards the herbivores having a big advantage. I would guess that multiple plays would lead to a more balanced game as players start to learn the different abilities, but in our game the carnivores often had no other creatures to eat and were essentially worthless investments. Additionally, when a creature did become weak enough to start getting eaten, each player with a carnivore would attack that player, which felt a bit unfair that the weakest player is the one that continues to get attacked. I don't think this game is for me, but I would encourage you to give it a try for yourself as there are a number of fun interactions and mechanics that I think a lot of people would enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment